During our wellness retreats, we emphasize the importance of a holistic approach to maintaining great health. This is because the balance between your mind and body goes a long way toward enabling your whole self to work at full capacity. How you fuel your body plays a significant part in helping you fire on all cylinders. With the demands of a busy work and home schedule, it’s easy to opt for convenience over quality. Luckily, there is no need to slow down when selecting the best foods to boost your mind/body balance. You just need to know what to choose.
Foods that Amp Up Energy
Looking for an added burst of energy before a big presentation? Need a kick of inspiration during a late night brainstorm session? Avoid the temptations of a quick sugar fix. Instead, look for foods that are high in protein, fiber, and complex carbohydrates, which provide instant energy to your body. Here are some of our favorites:
- Peanut butter or almond butter: The protein and unsaturated fat in these nut butters release energy over time, increasing your ability to maintain focus.
- Quinoa: Prepare this powerful whole grain for any meal. Use as a replacement for rice or oatmeal.
- Bananas: Bananas give you a bump of energy and fill your stomach, reducing nagging hunger and sluggishness.
Foods that Relax You
On the flip side, you might have trouble winding down after a long day or need help relaxing after a difficult board meeting. These delicious foods reduce stress levels and keep you balanced.
- Salmon: The omega-3 fatty acids in this delicious fish help lower blood pressure.
- Dark chocolate: Dark chocolate lowers cortisol, which reduces stress (but make sure you don’t overdo it!)
- Oatmeal: Fiber increases your production of serotonin, one of your “happiness hormones.”
- Leafy greens: Swiss chard, spinach, and kale contain lots of magnesium which relaxes muscles and calms nerves.
- Citrus: Loading up on Vitamin C-rich citrus fruits can lower blood your pressure.
Foods that Help You Stay Balanced While Traveling
If traveling is part of your job, it pays to stay balanced while on the road. Here are some food shortcuts to stay healthy away from home.
- Vitamin C: For immune system invincibility, stay on the vitamin C train. Order that second glass of orange or grapefruit juice from room service.
- Yogurt: Probiotic yogurt contains Lactobacillus reuteri, a helpful bacteria that keeps your digestive tract functioning smoothly.
- Garlic: Garlic is an ancient herb, whose sulfur-containing compounds naturally fight off colds.
- Walnuts: Walnuts are healthy, easy to pack and imminently snackable. They also contain melatonin, a hormone that helps regulate your body clock.
Finally, one of the single best foods to help you boost your mind and body balance is not a food at all–it’s water. Dehydration causes everything from muscle cramps to headaches. Increase your daily water intake (keep your hands off those sodas) and notice an immediate change in your physical and emotional wellness.
What are some of your go-to wellness foods? Share your favorites below!