When you want to improve your health, it’s easy to get overwhelmed. Where do you start? Who do you listen to? Why doesn’t change happen faster? When will you see results?
Before you begin, you must identify your wellness goals. After all, you can’t determine which direction to take unless you set a destination. Your goals are like your personal GPS: they help you get where you want to go and let you know if you veer off track.
We believe in a holistic approach to wellness. If you throw yourself into one area of wellness while ignoring the others, you might experience inconsistent results. By staying balanced in your approach, you’ll have the best overall results.
Here is our guide to uncovering your wellness goals, followed by key steps to get started on the path to a happier, healthier you.
2 Minutes to Uncover Your Wellness Goals
We have created a short quiz to help you identify your primary wellness goals. It should only take about two minutes of your time. To begin, write numbers 1-20 on a piece of paper. Next, read the questions below. For each answer you agree with, place a 1 next to the corresponding number.
- I want to lose weight.
- I want to strengthen and tone my muscles.
- I want more energy.
- I have difficulty bending over and being flexible.
- I struggle to exercise more than once per week.
- I smoke at least 1 cigarette per week.
- My doctor has informed me of irregularities in my blood tests.
- I have a chronic condition like diabetes, high blood pressure, or a compromised immune system.
- I take at least one medication regularly to control a medical condition.
- I am overweight, obese or have a high body mass index (BMI).
- I often eat junk food, including sweets, salty snacks, and fatty foods.
- I eat red meat regularly.
- I am allergic to at least one type of food.
- I eat frozen meals/snacks or fast food at least twice per week.
- I drink soda regularly.
- I often feel stressed or overwhelmed.
- I have trouble sleeping or waking up.
- I find it difficult to concentrate on tasks, even if I enjoy them.
- I have a hard time controlling my worrying.
- My moods fluctuate frequently.
Now Analyze Your Scores
On your sheet of paper, place dividing lines under the numbers 5, 10, 15 and 20. Each section represents a different area of wellness. Add your scores within each section. Review your scores to see which ones are the highest. This should be your primary wellness focus. The others represent your supporting wellness goals.
Questions 1-5: Fitness
Questions 6-10: Medical
Questions 11-15: Nutrition
Questions: 16-20: Mental & Emotional Wellness
Fitness Wellness Goals
If your primary wellness goal is “Fitness” you’re in luck! Fitness is an exceptional goal, as it provides an opportunity to try new activities while improving your physical health. Here are some ideas you can adopt to make fitness a priority:
- Form an “exercise club” with friends and meet regularly to work out
- Hire an instructor to give you private lessons in a sport you have never tried
- Visit a weight loss retreat to kick start your fitness routine
- Invest in an electronic fitness bracelet to track your progress
- Register for a recreational marathon, fun run or obstacle course
Medical Wellness Goals
Addressing your health needs will help you achieve greater overall wellness. Build your team of professionals who take a holistic approach to wellness and understand what your body’s signals are trying to communicate to you.
- Schedule a complete blood test panel with a lab to uncover any hidden health issues
- Ask your doctor for a stress test to determine your cardiovascular health
- Consult with experts at a holistic spa to discover lifestyle adjustments that promote physical health
Nutrition Wellness Goals
Food fuels your mind and body, so cleaning up your diet can go a long way toward improving your health.
- Meet with a nutritionist to evaluate what you eat and chart a course for new eating habits
- Visit a weight loss retreat where you gain exposure to creative, nutritious foods
- Reduce your red meat intake to 2-4x per month maximum
- Try a plant-based (vegan) diet for two weeks
- Seek healthy alternative snacks like nuts, whole wheat crackers, and smoothies
Mental & Emotional Wellness Goals
Calming your anxieties, reducing your stress and setting achievable life goals provides a supportive foundation to achieve your other wellness goals. When you improve your mindset, you can tackle your other objectives with clarity and determination.
- Practice meditation regularly
- Take some time for yourself every day
- Visit a wellness retreat or holistic spa to learn stress-reducing strategies
- Remember to engage in mindfulness as often as possible during your day-to-day life
The above quiz is not meant to replace a medical evaluation. Instead, it’s a useful roadmap to help you take action even when change seems daunting. If you have specific questions about how you can improve your wellness today and would like to speak to a member of our staff, contact us at 800-527-1936 and we will gladly discuss your goals in more detail and help you create a personalized plan to get started.